W-A-Y Niles is an alternative approach that encourages self-esteem, independence, and 21st century skills that will facilitate a college education and career path.
Students in the W-A-Y Program become Researchers and develop customized standards-based learning plans with a Mentor around topics that truly appeal to them.
Each researcher is equipped with an iMac workstation and Internet connectivity within his or her home. They communicate with their Mentors daily and collaborate with other Michigan and International W-A-Y researchers.
Highly-qualified W-A-Y teachers assess and align all projects according to state content standards, ensuring that each student completes the program with a high school diploma.
What do we provide to the W-A-Y student?
Niles Community Schools will provide:
- Computer Workstations
- Internet Connectivity
- Team Leaders
- On-Campus Learning Lab
The W-A-Y Program will provide:
- Content Experts
- Standard Based Reporting System
- State Wide and International Online Learning Environment
Who can benefit from W-A-Y Niles?
- Homeschool Students
- Students with life circumstances that do not fit a traditional school schedule
- Working adolescents
- Students who are behind in credits
- And students who enjoy learning in a creative, fun W-A-Y!